The Bookkeeper will work to support the organization and its affiliate organizations. She or he will oversee all compliance and recognition for government (federal and state) contracts and private grants. Click below to learn more about the full-time position and apply today!
Organization: City Net is a 501(c)(3) non-profit community organization that facilitates and leads multi-sector collaboratives to provide solutions to complex social problems, including ending homelessness in Orange County. City Net’s direct services in homelessness include street outreach, case management, facilitation of collaborative meetings, resource mobilization, trainings, and community organizing. City Net is a branch of the Bedrock Creek network; both City Net and Bedrock Creek are dbas of Kingdom Causes, Inc., a faith-based nonprofit.
Please submit a cover letter with your application. We want to know who you are, why you want to work for a nonprofit, and why you’d be a good fit for this position! Because this information is so vital, applicants without a cover letter will not be considered.
Position: The Bookkeeper is responsible for all financial matters of City Net. The Bookkeeper will report to the Director of Operations, work closely with the Executive Director and the organization’s outside accounting firm. The Bookkeeper is responsible for maintaining the organization’s accounting system. The Bookkeeper is responsible for day-to-day accounting, such as journal entries, processing invoices, account reconciliations and bank deposits. The Bookkeeper also keeps records of assets and liabilities and assists with preparation of financial statements and reports. S/he must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and be excited to work for a fast-growing nonprofit serving the homeless community.
Status: Full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt
Reports to: Director of Operations
- Perform all aspects of day to day bookkeeping and accounting processes including but not limited to: A/P, A/R, payroll, general ledger, journal entries, bank & credit card reconciliation
- Manage cash flow
- Maintain accounting policies & procedures and systems of internal control to ensure the integrity of the organization’s financial systems
- Process and pay all bills in a timely manner
- Prepare and print checks
- Receive and deposit all organizational revenue, including donations, fee-for-service and grant payments
- Regularly interface with the organization’s third-party accounting firm, bank, customers, vendors and staff
- Prepare invoices and all required supporting documentation with extreme attention to detail
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports (P&L, Balance Sheet, Open Invoices, Outstanding Bills, etc.) and provide information for financial statements
- Communicate with customers to address any past due invoices
- Provide needed information to accounting firm for preparation of IRS Form 990
- Issue 1099s annually
- Provide necessary financial documentation and reports during grant/contract monitoring and audits
- Manage time tracking process for employees with billable hours, utilizing online time tracking tool and extra data to make appropriate payroll entries for financial/grant reporting and customer billing
- Process bi-weekly payroll, prepare reports, resolve discrepancies and provide information as requested; work with third-party payroll processor
- Maintain employee confidence and protect payroll operations by keeping information confidential
- Support Leadership Team in developing grant & contract budget proposals and annual organizational budget
- Propose policies & procedures for checks and balances, asset monitoring and over/under-spending alerts
- Communicate with leadership to ensure finances are in order; report any red flags in a timely manner so they can be proactively addressed
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations; ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Other duties as assigned
- Solid knowledge of bookkeeping and GAAP
- Extremely detail-oriented and accurate
- Advanced PC skills, including competency in QuickBooks (nonprofit version) and Excel; experience with Google Suite is ideal but not required (Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, Team Drive)
- Experience going through financial audits and monitorings
- Ability to work independently, in a team, and manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills are critical to success in this role
- Experience and enjoyment with providing timely, reliable and responsive assistance to staff
- Must be able to maintain excellent quality of and quantity of work despite regular interruptions and unexpected transitions from repetitive/mundane projects to time-sensitive and highly analytical work
- Background in HR, legal compliance and grants/contract management preferred but not required
- Experience working with remote staff and a mobile workforce is ideal
- Associate’s or more advanced degree in accounting or finance
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience with bookkeeping, payroll processing and tax preparation
In the course of performing this job, the employee typically spends time sitting, walking, standing, listening/speaking, writing and operating a personal computer. S/he will regularly work out in the field and be required to drive an automobile or use public transportation to attend meetings within the community. S/he is expected to lift and carry office records and supplies up to 30 lbs on an occasional basis. Reasonable accommodations may be arranged to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties of the job.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org .
City Net is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Due to the large volume of applicants, we are unable to respond to phone calls regarding open positions.
To apply, please fill out the form below.