Organization: City Net is a 501(c)(3) non-profit community organization that facilitates and leads multi-sector collaboratives to provide solutions to complex social problems, including ending homelessness in Orange County. City Net’s direct services in homelessness include street outreach, case management, facilitation of collaborative meetings, resource mobilization, trainings, and community organizing. City Net is a branch of the Bedrock Creek network; both City Net and Bedrock Creek are dbas of Kingdom Causes, Inc.
Position: The External Relations Manager (ERM) supports the External Relations Department’s efforts to communicate the organization’s mission, history, values and accomplishments to all external and internal constituents. This includes activities in the following areas: marketing and communications, media and public relations, community engagement, and resource development.
The ERM also serves as a manager for community engagement staff, including those assigned to staffed locations that currently include the Courtyard and the Santa Ana Flood Control Channel. He or she will coordinate work schedules, assign staff to projects, review time cards, and deliver reports of activities.
Status: Full-time, exempt
Compensation: $40,000 – $50,000 annually depending on experience
Reports to: Director of External Relations
Supervises: Community Engagement Specialists (team of 3-5)
Dates: Open as of 3/1/2018
Requires travel throughout Southern California, primarily in Orange County.
Must be able to pass background checks successfully upon hire and throughout employment.
Ability to work flexible hours, including frequent nights and weekends.
Marketing and Communications
The DER must develop communications to build and maintain cooperative relationships with nonprofit organizations, faith congregations, business contacts, public officials, advocacy groups, volunteers and donors to establish and maintain the company’s reputation, while paving the way for future partnerships and opportunities. Specific responsibilities include directing staff to create and manage:
- Internal and external branding and messaging to all stakeholders
- Internal staff communications and culture-building/reinforcing activities
- Web content and social media
- Printed materials, displays, and other collateral materials
Media Relations and Public Relations
The ERM supports the department’s efforts to create and maintain a positive image for City Net through media communications and public relations. Specific assigned tasks may include:
- Creating press releases and publicity materials
- Supporting media trainings and briefings for executive staff
- Providing reactive media management during high-profile events or activities
The ERM supports the department’s efforts to help City Net accomplish its mission to solve social problems through positive, solutions-oriented civic engagement. Specific tasks may include:
- Volunteer engagement efforts, including recruitment, orientation, education, deployment and evaluation of volunteer activities
- Faith community mobilization efforts, including meaningful and productive individual and group participation activities to provide resources and support of the work
- Management of website portal for community awareness and volunteer sign ups and management.
The ERM supports all fundraising initiatives and activities of the organization. Specific assigned tasks may include all efforts to implement the annual fundraising plan, including fundraising communications, grant-writing research and proposal delivery, and special events.
This position requires:
- Understanding of nonprofit, volunteer and social services sectors; working knowledge of nonprofit management principles and practices.
- Ability to faithfully represent the faith-rooted principles of the organization, while demonstrating an ability to work constructively with individuals and organizations of all different faiths.
- Particular understanding of homelessness and general understanding of marginalized communities and the conditions which contribute to their marginalization.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Sound computer skills including word processing and database management.
- Ability to pass background checks successfully upon hire and throughout employment.
- College degree with experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified herein.
In the course of performing this job, the employee typically spends time sitting, walking, standing, listening/speaking, writing and operating a personal computer. S/he will regularly work out in the field and be required to drive an automobile or use public transportation to attend meetings within the community. S/he is expected to lift and carry office records and supplies up to 30 lbs on an occasional basis. Reasonable accommodations may be arranged to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties of the job.
City Net is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Due to the large volume of applicants, we are unable to respond to phone calls regarding open positions.
To apply, please fill out the form below.